This Call for Artists is closed.
A huge thank you to everyone who has participated.
We’ll get back to the selected artists until May 1st via email.
Please note that we are unfortunately not able to get back to those artists who haven’t been selected. Thank you for your understanding.
the Suboart Team
“Illuminating the Beauty of Science”
Science and art have always been closely tied, as the purpose of both is to understand the world around us and create within it. With advancements in both research and technologies happening at an increasingly rapid pace, how does this change the approach to making art through a scientific lens? We are looking for works that highlight the intersections between science, technology and art. This could be through the use of alternative materials or new technologies, works that examine the science behind creativity, or even artworks that offer solutions to the most pressing scientific issues of our time.
Vancouver based art consultant and visual artist.
Nicole currently works as the Art Consultant for the Federation of Canadian Artists, curating and marketing exhibitions and selling artworks. She has previously worked as a Curator for the Deer Lake Art Gallery and the Arts Council of the Central Okanagan. Her own art practice is focused on environmentalism, storytelling and creating community through the lens of sustainability.
Aspiring curator, art collector & enthusiast
Based in Dubai since 2017, Fola runs the art-lovers community & meet up group ArtsyFolk, organizing gallery visits & workshops around the city. She has been involved in the Dubai art scene through exhibitions such as Art Dubai & working for several galleries in the UAE.
Fola is currently working on her first pop-up exhibition in Dubai & joined the Suboart Magazine Team earlier this year to assist with her expertise in African, especially West-African art.
Barcelona based curator and writer.
For the past two years, Carolina has worked with the curatorial platform RICE Initiative in Barcelona, co-organizing exhibitions an collaborating with their magazine as an editor and writer. She joined Suboart Magazine in September 2022, conducting studio visits & artist interviews.
Her first single-curated exhibition “Alternative gazes on the body and desire.” will be inaugurated at FLIPA Art Gallery Barcelona on May 20th.
What? Online Group Exhibition
Theme: Illuminating the beauty of science. Science and art have always been closely tied, as the purpose of both is to understand the world around us and create within it. With advancements in both research and technologies happening at an increasingly rapid pace, how does this change the approach to making art through a scientific lens?
We are looking for works that highlight the intersections between science, technology and art. This could be through the use of alternative materials or new technologies, works that examine the science behind creativity, or even artworks that offer solutions to the most pressing scientific issues of our time.
Where & how long? Online in a 3D gallery that will be linked to https://suboartmagazine.com/
When? May 6 – 26th 2023
Who can apply? This call for artists is open internationally for everybody.
Format: Most visual art formats (painting, drawing, sculpture, textile, photography, video, performance, digital art, etc.) are accepted. As this is an online exhibition, there are no size restrictions.
Can I submit more than one work? Yes. You should describe all the works you’d like to submit in the same form. We’re intending to have only one form per person. A series of works counts as one work. Please do not submit more than 3 works.
Jurors: Artworks will be juried by guest curator Nicole Young and the Suboart Team. Artworks will be considered based on technical skill and execution, as well as relevance to the theme of science, technology and art.
Sales: Suboart Magazine will not be processing sales. If inquiries are made regarding sales, then the Suboart Magazine team will pass along the artist’s email address to the interested party. Please leave a short note in the application form in case you would not like your contact information passed on.
Catalogue: We will create a digital (PDF) catalogue of the exhibition. Upon selection, participants will also be asked to provide a high resolution image of their work (300 dpi). If everyone is able to provide it, we will make the catalogue available for purchase via print on demand. If not everyone is able to provide it, we’ll stick to a digital catalogue only.
Application Fees: there are no application fees or participation fees.
Participants must be 18 years or older.
Selected artists will be notified of our decision via email in between April 19th and May 1st.
Deadline: Wednesday April 19, 2023
11:59 p.m. EST
For any further questions, please get in touch with us via
We created a submission form where you’ll be able to fill out your details and upload the pictures you’d like to submit. You’ll be asked to indicate:
- Name and Surname
- Website & Instagram (if applicable)
- Biography (150 words max.)
- Artist Statement (150 words max.)
- Brief description how your works relate to the theme “Illuminating the beauty of science”
- Description of works that you are submitting
– You should describe all the works you’d like to submit in the same form.
– We’re intending to have only one form per person.
– A series of works counts as one work.
– Please do not submit more than 3 works.
- High quality pictures, at least 1900 px on the shorter side, in between 500 KB & 4 MB each, at least 72 dpi. (The maximum of 4 MB is approximate: pictures may be a little bigger but may under no circumstance exceed 5 MB.)
– if you are submitting 3 different works, 3 pictures are allowed.
– In case you are submitting a series, you may upload a maximum of 6 pictures in total
– images must be named as follows: First Name_Last Name_Title_Year_Technique_Size
– no watermarks allowed and the image shell only show the work itself
Terms & Conditions
By submitting to this call of artists, you agree to all the information listed above as well as to the following terms and conditions:
- Participants must be 18 years or older.
- Participants confirm that they are the creator of the works submitted and that the hold the rights to them.
- Participants allow Suboart Magazine and Nicole Young to use the submitted works in the online exhibition, the exhibition catalogue and to share them on the Suboart Magazine Website, social media channels and newsletter.
- Participating in this call for artists doesn’t guarantee being selected.
- If inquiries are made regarding sales, participants allow the Suboart Magazine team to pass along your email address to the interested party, unless you state otherwise in the submission form.
- We reserve the right to disregard all submissions that don’t fulfil the requirements listed on this page